Campus Online Course Proposal Summer Session Call, 2016-17
Have you thought about developing an online course?
The campus seeks proposals from all levels of faculty to develop online education courses to be offered during Summer Session 2017. This year’s focus is courses that:
- Are high demand, high enrollment when offered in-person during Fall/Winter/Spring and;
- Satisfy a major requirement.
Faculty whose proposals are accepted will receive one course release and staff support to develop the course. Courses will be developed in winter/spring for their initial offering in summer and will be required to be offered for five consecutive summers by the original developer or an alternate instructor. Summer courses can run on 5, 8, or 10 week sessions.
Online summer courses provide opportunities for all UCSC students to continue making progress toward their degree, including those unable to remain in Santa Cruz during the peak tourist season. For many majors, high quality online courses offered in summer can help enrollment impaction. Additionally, they generate both employment opportunities for instructors and graduate students, and incentive funding for the division and department.
The deadline for proposals is Monday, December 5. Submit proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In no more than two pages, provide responses to the following three points of inquiry.
- Provide a brief overview of the course, including information on student demand, the current major requirement it meets, and perceived departmental need for an online version of the course. Please append the current course syllabus to your proposal.
- Explain why the proposed version of the course would be compatible for the online environment.
- Discuss any experience or qualifications you have – such as using technology to enhance the classroom experience – relevant to developing and/or teaching an online course.
Include a short statement of support from the Department Chair discussing the course within the context of departmental need, and the Department’s commitment to offer the during Summer Session course for 5 years.
For more information, please contact Michael Tassio at email@example.com or 831-459-1349.